Here is another volunteer Short Term Technical Assignment (STTA) that I am recruiting on behalf of Partners of the Americas. The STTA below is to fulfill requirements of Partners’ USAID-funded Farmer to Farmer Program in the Dominican Republic. The program provides technical assistance to agricultural producers, organizations, agribusinesses and universities in Latin America and the Caribbean. Through the program, U.S. specialists donate their time and expertise and spend two to three weeks on specific technical assignments, working directly with counterparts in the region to address local needs. Volunteers may travel individually or in teams. The Program covers all costs of airfare, lodging, meals, insurance, and any work related expenses.
Title: Water Systems / Agricultural Specialist (Volunteer)
Location: Dominican Republic
Start Date: Summer-Fall 2012 --- duration is for a few weeks.
This project works throughout the Dominican Republic with greenhouse producers, as well as those who work in open field systems.
They have a number of challenges related to water and soil management. This assignment is for a volunteer to train producers and extension agents in best practices for the establishment and management of irrigation systems in the production of vegetables, grapes and fruit trees in greenhouses and open fields.
1. Volunteer Qualifications Requirements:
· Experience with small integrated irrigation farm systems, design and management
· Experience with design and management of greenhouse and open field irrigation systems
· Experience with providing training to farmers and technicians in the above areas.
· Knowledge of Spanish is helpful (but not required)
· US Citizenship Required
2. Expected Results:
· Improved knowledge by extension agents and producers on best practices for the design and management of irrigation systems for vegetable, grapes, and fruit tree production.
· A training program for continuously improving the capabilities of the professionals working in the area of design and management of irrigation systems for small farmers in the production of vegetables, grapes and fruit trees.
3. Expected Deliverables:
· Assessment of the conditions of the irrigation systems presently established in the greenhouses and open field production of vegetables, grapes, and recommendations for their improvement.
· Trip report detailing the above
· Practical workshop for small farm management of irrigation systems for greenhouse and open field production of vegetable, and grapes.
· Workshop for extension agents on design and management of irrigation system for the production of vegetables in greenhouses and open field.
Deadline for Application: Open