I am retained by Pragma International to accept applications for the following position:
Position Title: National Government Budget/Policy Lead for Libya PFM
Location: Tunis, Tunisia, with travel to Libya, security conditions permitting.
Start Date and Length of Assignment: Full-time beginning approx. February 15, 2018 and ending September 30, 2018, with the likelihood of extension for additional 6-18 months.
The Middle East Economic Growth Best Practices (MEG) Project supports USAID EG programs in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Region by providing the Middle East Bureau and its Missions and Operating Units with the tools necessary for high-quality economic analysis, strategic assessments, program planning and evaluation support, growth diagnostics, pilot and bridging activities, and innovative program designs. Under MEG, the Libya Economic Stabilization Program (LESP) is intended to strengthen SME competitiveness and sustainable employment generation, enhance Libya’s capacity to deliver reliable electricity in a ﬁscally responsible and sustainable manner, and help strengthen the public ﬁnancial management (PFM) policy framework and implementation capacity where possible in selected Government of Libya national and sub-national institutions.
The Lead will provide direct technical assistance to the government of Libya and will oversee and coordinate the work of multiple long and short-term third country national and cooperating country national advisors providing budget administration and revenue enhancement related technical assistance support to the government of Libya.
Key qualifications include:
- A PhD degree in Economics, Public Finance, or relevant field
- Ten (10) years or more of public financial management and related experience including tax policy and budget policy.
- Minimum 8 years of experience as advisor to government leaders at national level
- Eight (8) or more years working in a developing world context in the MENA region is preferred.
- Substantial technical expertise and experience in three or more of the following areas:
- Budget Administration
- Expenditure planning
- Expenditure execution
- Financial management
- Budget Policy
- Revenue and Tax Administration
- Fiscal policy formulation
- Government debt management
- Intergovernmental finance
- Tax administration
- Tax Policy
- Taxpayer services
- Tax audit
- Excellent English writing skills
- Arabic skills useful, but not required
- US, EU, Regional experts preferred.
Deadline for Application: February 8, 2018.