I have been asked to find experts for Volunteer Short Term Technical Assignments (STTAs) on behalf of Partners of the Americas in Washington DC. The STTA below is to fulfill requirements of Partners’ USAID-funded Farmer to Farmer Program in the Dominican Republic. The program provides technical assistance to agricultural producers, organizations, agribusinesses and universities in Latin America and the Caribbean. Through the program, U.S. specialists donate their time and expertise and spend two to three weeks on specific technical assignments, working directly with counterparts in the region to address local needs. Volunteers may travel individually or in teams. The Program covers all costs of airfare, lodging, meals, insurance, and any work related expenses.
Title: Good Agricultural and Handling Practices Specialist (Volunteer)
Location: Dominican Republic
Start Date: Summer-Fall 2012 --- assignments to last a few weeks.
This project is to be throughout the Dominican Republic with greenhouse producers, as well as those who work in open field systems. There are a number of challenges related to food safety of the vegetables and fruits produced by the greenhouses managed by a number of women’s groups and also in avocados, produced primarily by male farmers.
The volunteer should be able to identify and recommend methods and practices to improve food safety in their production and also in post-harvest handling and provide training to farmers and technicians.
1. Volunteer Qualifications Requirement:
- Experience in training farmers and technicians in Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) for vegetables grown in greenhouses and avocados produced in open fields,
- Experience in Good Handling Practices (GHP), in the production of vegetables and fruits
- Knowledge of Spanish helpful
- US Citizenship Required
2. Expected Results:
- Improved knowledge by extension agents and producers on Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) and Good Handling practices (GHP).
- Food safety status of vegetables produced in greenhouses and avocados produced in open field is improved
3. Expected Deliverables:
- A report about the food safety situation of the vegetables and fruits produced in greenhouses and open field.
- Practical workshop for farmers and technicians trained in Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs), and Good Handling practices (GHP).
Deadline for Application: Open