Title: Chief of Party, for USAID Youth Connect Niger
Location: Niamey, Niger
Anticipated Start date: Approximately March 2020. This is for an anticipated proposal and position is contingent on funding.
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified Chief of Party (COP) candidates for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded program in Niger which will equip vulnerable young women and men in Niger with technical and life skills, networks, and capital for increased strategic economic opportunities. The Chief of Party with be based in Niamey, and will oversee all programmatic aspects, ensuring that objectives are met on time and within budget.
This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the program and the team; bring dynamic and creative leadership to bring innovation to rigorous program implementation and meeting donor deliverables
- Serve as the principal liaison with USAID, as well as with key government officials at the national and local level, other donors and implementers, private sector and civil society partners. Engage with program beneficiaries, youth leaders, youth cooperatives youth networks, and other stakeholders; ensure that all stakeholder relationships are managed effectively
- Develop annual workplans in collaboration with staff and stakeholders, and oversee workplan implementation
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations.
- Ensure project activities are implemented on schedule and within budget
- Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s home office
- Oversee project budgeting, financial management, and ensure contractual compliance
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities; promote a culture of learning and adaptation across the project
- Oversee project communications
- Ensure that IREX’s safety and security policies and procedures are applied to all project and staff operations
- Represent IREX publicly and support its organizational development
- Other duties, as assigned
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- At least 12 years of progressive experience, including management experience, in international development.
- Experience working in Niger and/or the West African region strongly preferred
- At least five (5) years in a relevant technical position –in either youth development, youth economic opportunities/workforce development or youth leadership.
- Minimum of five (5) years of senior management experience on international donor-funded initiatives (as COP, Country Director, Team Leader, Project Director, etc,) that include designing, implementing, and managing programs with a focus on either youth development, youth economic opportunities/workforce development, or countering violent extremism focus.
- Successful track record of supervising, designing, managing, and implementing complex donor-funded technical assistance projects (strong preference for past USAID-funded project management experience.)
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior government officials; youth-led groups, community officials, media, civil society, and private sector leaders; international donors; and other stakeholders.
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives.
- Strong understanding of the Nigerien context preferred.
- Strong representational and organizational skills.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree highly preferred) in a related field.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and intermediate or higher proficiency in French is required; proficiency in Arabic, Hausa, and/or other local languages a plus.
How to Apply: Applicants should submit an updated CV/resume that clearly shows the applicants meets all qualification requirements to email@example.com referencing “COP, Youth Connect-Niger” in the subject line.
Deadline for application: November 9, 2019